The Facts about Dental Implants
Dental implants have been around long enough that many people understand what they are and how they work. But a recent study shows that there are still a lot of misconceptions about what people know and don’t know about implants.
If you are considering tooth replacement, your options include a dental bridge, full or partial denture, or dental implant. Both bridges and dentures are an excellent choice for many people, but both will have to be replaced over time. However, a dental implant is rooted in your jaw and becomes a permanent part of your dental anatomy.
Comparing Tooth Replacement Options
We agree that there’s a lot to know about dental implants. Understanding how dental implants work is important because we can achieve the best results when you are an informed part of the process.
If you would like to learn a bit more about implants, here are a few comparisons with other tooth replacement options to get you started:
- Dental implants restore 90% of your chewing ability, while dentures only restore 10%.
- The movement of a denture can create speech and taste problems, but an implant-retained denture is stabilized with a dental implant, which eliminates the problem.
- Dentures need to be relined every three to five years, while implants are virtually maintenance free.
- A dental bridge needs to be replaced every 5-15 years, whereas an implant does not, making implants more cost-effective over the long term.
- If you want the healthiest smile possible, an implant is the best choice because it stimulates healthy growth of your jawbone, unlike dentures that just sit on your jaw.
Please Call Us to Learn More
We agree that there is a lot to learn and understand about dental implants. If you would like schedule a consultation with Dr. Mohit Virmani to learn more, please call our Owings Mills dental office!